The Mateus Palace is located in the parish of Mateus, Municipality of Vila Real, District of Vila Real.
The Mateus Palace was built in the first half of the 18th Century by the 3rd Majorat of Mateus, António José Botelho Mourão. The house has always been run by the Sousa Botelho family. This palace was presumably designed by the architect Nicolau Nasoni.
Corgo Park is located on the banks of the river of the same name, it has an area of about 33 hectares; and is linked to the Forest Park, a true driving force of the city. It incorporates various facilities: multi-sport fields, pedestrian routes, the Codessais picnic area (equipped with grills and tables), open-air municipal pools, a children's park, cafés and tea houses; and you can still see old windmills, some of which have been refurbished.
The Cathedral of Vila Real or São Domingos Church is located in Vila Real, Portugal. Built in the 15th Century, it is considered the best example of Gothic architecture in the Trás-os-Montes region.
The Church of St. Peter is considered one of the oldest churches in Vila Real, it was built in 1528, at the request of Fr. Pedro Castro, the Abbott of Mouçós, at a location where there was already a chapel dedicated to St. Nicholas.
The New Chapel has a unique position in the historic centre, which sets off its imposing structure amidst the traditional streets.
The Sanctuary of Panoias was built between the end of the IInd and the beginning of the IIIrd Centuries by the Roman senator Caius Calpurnius Rufinus, dedicated to the Infernal deities, led by Serapis, and the gods of the Lapiteas, an ethnic group indigenous to the region.
The first reference to the Quintela Tower appears in the Enquiries of D. Afonso III, in 1258. At the end of the XVIIth Century there are records of jurisdictions and time periods received by its lord, the Count of Vimioso, at the Quintela Tombo da Torre.
Lamas d' Olo, a village in the municipality of Vila Real, is a jewel in the midst of Alvão Natural Park. As soon as you arrive, you will notice the granite houses, most of which still have thatched roofs.
Coming from Vila Real, exit at Covelinhas to arrive at the the top of São Leonardo and its respective chapel. From this location, known for having inspired Miguel Torga, you can enjoy a superb view of the Douro valley.
Created in 1756 at the initiative of the government of the Marquis of Pombal, as the first demarcated and regulated region in the world, classified by UNESCO, on 14 December 2001, as World Heritage, the Upper Douro Wine Region is a unique example of a traditional region that lives around wine production, both the well-known Port wine and the most recent first-class table wines. All of these wines originate on the terraces of the Douro river and its tributaries, where shale walls support rows of vines laden with bunches of white or red grapes.
The Fisgas Trail, with the designation of PR3 – Fisgas de Ermelo, lets us see a bit of the beautiful Alvão Mountains and one of its most famous landscapes The Fisgas de Ermelo Waterfalls.
The Shrine of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios is located in the parish of Sé, city and municipality of Lamego, district of Viseu, in Portugal.
Topping the mountain of Santo Estêvão, the shrine is currently an integral part of the panorama of the city to which it is united by a scenic staircase.
Since 1984, the Shrine of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios, including the staircase and park, has been classified as a Public Interest Site.
The Caves of Murganheira were founded over 50 years ago, are currently located on a property with over 30 hectares. The sparkling wines are produced from the finest varieties of grapes, such as Malvasia Fina, Gouveio Real, Cerceal, Chardonnay, Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Roriz and Pinot Noir. The most intense light wines result from the Malvasia Fina, Cerceal, Gouveio Real, Tinta Roriz, Touriga Nacional and Touriga Franca varieties. These wine cellars are sculpted in blue granite rock, reaching a depth of 72 metres.
The Ucanha Tower is located in the parish of Ucanha, municipality of Tarouca, district of Viseu, in Portugal. It has been classified by the Portuguese Institute of Architectonic Heritage (IPPAR) as a national monument since 1910.
The construction of the São João de Tarouca Monastery began in 1154, and it was the first monastery for Cistercian monks built on Portuguese soil.
Construction began on this monastery (Monastery of Salzedas) for men of the Cistercian Order in 1168. With its foundation closely linked to Teresa Afonso, wife of Egas Moniz, the monastic complex was greatly expanded in the 17th and 18th Centuries, to include a new and monumental cloister in the 18th Century, designed by the Maltese architect Carlos Gimach.